• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7.62 x 54R Nagant or 8mm Mauser bolt rifle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.62 x 54R Nagant or 8mm Mauser bolt rifle?

I've been thinking about getting one of these... if I did, it'd be a plinker, just something to shoot the hell out of and enjoy, not a safe queen at all. Now one of the reasons I got turned onto getting one of these two rifles is the price of ammo at a local ammo warehouse (polish 1980's 7.62x54R 880 rounds for 65 bucks, yugo 1950's 8mm 900 rnds for 50 bucks, yugo 1970's 8mm 900 rnds for 65 bucks, and romanian 1977 8mm 760 rnds for 60 bucks). Can someone tell me what they think would be the better buy, and if the cheapest kind of 8mm/7.62x54R should be avoided for reasons other than being corrosive? I've heard some ammo can be plain out crap and that kind of stuff I want to avoid. So I guess I'm also wondering if the cheaper ammo on that site is good or not. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Also, since my decision is largely based on cheap ammo that rules out getting the enfield and k31, as fine of rifles as they are, I cannot afford the ammo prices while being able to shoot it remotely often. Also, I couldn't just get both rifles/calibers for the same reason (income).
    8mm
    40.22%
    7.62x54R
    59.78%

For shooting fun....

Greetings,

For shooting fun, you can't go wrong with either choice. The mosin style rifles are a little cheaper (running about $70-$80 or so for a m91/30 with accessories) The mauser rifles are a little more, (I think I've seen yugo m24 for about 120 or so with all the accessories, yugo m48 and m48/98's for about 140 or so) I've never handled a mauser before, so hopefully someone else can chime in about them.
    As far as the mosins go, you may have to experiment a bit to see which brand of ammo works best for your gun (as individual guns tend to like one kind over another) I think the general concensus is that the polish light ball and czech light ball are the better surplus. (Personnally, I have only used the polish. I've recently picked up some hungarian light ball, but haven't a chance to try it out yet) All of the stuff is corrosive.
    Both are good rifles, with neat history as well. I collect the mosins, as I just happen to like the aesthetics. My next rifle will most probably be some sort of mauser though, we'll see! Good luck!

Sincerely,
    Peter Maenner

Comment

As much as I like my Mosins, Mauser has a much silkier action...
      I know what you're thinking, did he fire 6 shots or only 5? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself.
      But being as this is a 44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the World and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question...
      Do I Feel Lucky? Well, Do Ya Punk!?!

Comment

Both are cheap depending on model, and ammo is plentiful. Why not both?
        Proud Member:

Knights of the Golden Cross - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Rat
          Both are cheap depending on model, and ammo is plentiful. Why not both?
          Indeed! You might as well get one of each (you know you'll want one of each eventually anyhow, right?) and stock up on ammo... that way you'll have two great plinking rifles.

Just the other day (4/10) I was out for a day of plinking with one of my Finn M91s, German Gew98, and Argentine 1909 mountain carbine... gotta love being able to blast through 600 rounds in an afternoon for mere pennies! :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Comment

Not the most scientific reasoning but I bought the M44 just because I really like the evil look of the side folding bayonet. That and mine was uber cheap....I paid something like $20 for it. Its just a shooter grade but it goes bang.

Comment

well i have a mosin but i wouldnt recomend it for plinking becuase of the recoil but i have not ever shot a 8mm mauser so i wouldnt know but i do have some "low recoil" rounds but havent shot yet so that would take care of the recoil

Comment

Unless you are a recoil fan, either rifle will hammer you, but the Mosin carbines, then M44 or the M38, are mule kickers. Having said that, I love my M38 - great rifle, and a tin of Polish light ball cost me under $50 for 440 rounds.
                Get a 91/30 if you want less recoil, or the M38 for handier rifle, or the M44 for the same as the M38, plus the permanant pigsticker, which MAY help with recoil - don't have one, so I don't know.
                Then read up on the history of the Mosin, and have fun!

Comment

"M44 or the M38, are mule kickers."

You've never fired a Berthier Mle. 1916 Carbine or any Martini-Henry rifle (not to mention carbine), have you? [Tongue]

But seriously, if you're not a recoil junkie like I am, I can see where harsh recoil might be a factor. So...buy yourself a PAST strap-on recoil pad! They only cost about $25, and save you quite a bit of pain on your shoulder (I admit, I use a sissy pad for the Martini-Henry in hot weather...God, does that thing kick!). The best part about the PAST pad is that it straps onto your shoulder, not your rifle, and gives a bit more of a natural feel and, if you like the LOP on your rifle, it pretty much eliminates the annoyance of having the extra-length of having a rifle-attached recoil pad on.

Comment

I have to admit ive never owned a mosin nagant,but I did fire a friends M44-
                    ouch!! I do own a yugo M48 in real nice condition excellent bore etc for muc less than $200 ordered from my dealer,tax !0% etc. Its quite accurate for shooting 40 year old ball 3.5 moa at 100 meters but its n0t for recoil sissys
                    either.I have a rubber slip on pad.Either one should make an excellent rifle
                    but 7.62 russian should be more available.I think Id go for a Finnish reworked
                    russian rifle if I wanted the Russian long rifle.I understand they can be very accurate and surplus military scopes and mounts are available.Im sure these guys no more than i about them.

Comment

hi, well ive got both!!!awhile back i bought cases of 8mm and 762x54r.if you have the money try to buy a yugo m48 or a 44 carbine,to take out the sting put on a slipover recoil pad,makes a BIG differance on the little russian.both are great guns.the history of both rifles is great,the k98s and there offshoots are made on the tried and true mauser action,but dont let people tell you the russian reciever is crap,for an open bridge it is very strong.the finns have been using them for YEARS in competition.and the little russian is cool to shoot close to dark,when the gases reignite what a little fireball!!my boys and i love all the military rifles,yes some may shoot better than others,but its the history that makes the so much fun to shoot.robert

Comment

Originally posted by nmshooter
                        ...and the little russian is cool to shoot close to dark,when the gases reignite what a little fireball!!
                        Yup, there's nothing quite like a good M44 fireball! Here's a photo of me shooting my 1946 Izhevsk M44 in the pitch black darkness of the ND night:

I own nearly 100 milsurps of all flavors and the only other ones that can even come close to a fireball like that are my other M44s, M38s, and M91/59s. There's not a Mauser in my collection that can signal the space shuttle like that. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Comment

Both are REAL rifles in full fledged rifle calibers and made out of wood and steel not plastic and aluminum so some recoil is to be expected. I went with a Mosin and have really gotten a kick (sorry) out of it. Right now I am shooting it more than anything mostly 'cause of the cheap ammo and the fact I can just leave it in my truck and don't have to worry so much about it getting banged around etc........

Either way I don't think you can go wrong.

Comment

I like the 8mm mauser. I had a k98 the best rifle i ever had. like a dumba** i sold it two buy Jeep parts for my 53 cj3b and i no longer have the jeep NO JEEP NO 8mm JUST TWO KIDS AND A WIFE.

Comment

Ill keep my kids but wife better pack if it comes down to her and my collection.LOL?Like Burt says nothing like a real wood and steel rifle.Not to say My ar15 and m1a arent good rifles they just dont have the chaRACTER OF AN OLD MILSURP.

Comment

Working...
                              X