• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to obtain a C&R (03) LICENSE...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jk2008 View Post
    I applied for my C&R in mid Dec and just received it this week, so all seems well from an approval perspective. I'm still awaiting my information package, however.

Perhaps the info package will make everything clear, but I'm impatient by nature and I have a question regarding the administrative details of shipping and receiving. If I purchase a gun from another C&R licensee on Gunbroker or some other venue, is there anything special I need to do besides send the seller payment and a copy of my license? Does the seller have to use any special means of shipping to get a gun to me? Do I have to be there when the gun arrives, or can my wife (or adult daughter) accept the package?

I'd appreciate any practical advice you could send my way.

Thank you in advance,

John
    No, all you have to do is send them a copy of your license, signed in blue ink. However, the rules have been relaxed a bit and you can email or fax a C&R now. Sellers can ship via USPS, FedEX or UPS. I have got the worst shape packages from UPS, FedEX and especially the USPS have been very careful with my packages, in my experience, others may object though. Any adult can accept the package, just depends on what the seller requests from the driver. I have had packages left at the door (per my conversation with the driver), those that said 'adult signature only' and others where the driver asked to see my license to make sure I was the recipient on the label. Make friends with the delivery drivers in your area as well as your postal service deliverers. They will watch out for your packages and make sure you are there to get them, at least mine do.

You should receive your 'welcome package' from the ATF soon. I got my license first, took a while to get it, if not, call their office in Atlanta. They have been very helpful when I have chatted with them. Also, this packet will explain how to 'log' in the firearms received and sold, keeping a record of each transaction.

A word to the wise with a C&R. Put a cap on your credit card limit. Do not go over it buying guns! I know, I did It is exciting winning an auction for one of those nice swedish mausers!
    THA - member #069
    KGC - member #11

WHY ME WHEN THERE IS AN ATHEIST JUST DOWN THE STREET?!?!

http://www.warrifles.com
    One great place.

Comment

Is it genuinely necessary to keep a bound book for C&R only? I ask because a friend of mine with a C&R license indicated that it wasn't.

Comment

Just received both my C&R license and package within a week. I have read through it briefly, but saw nothing that specified a "bound" book for records. It looks like a loose leaf would work if desired. I will read more and let you know.
        No Fear, Got Gear.

KGC - member #13

Comment

Originally posted by NOREMF66 View Post
          Just received both my C&R license and package within a week. I have read through it briefly, but saw nothing that specified a "bound" book for records. It looks like a loose leaf would work if desired. I will read more and let you know.
          The WHOLE DEAL in 1 week?? Or do you mean the license came then the package with various documents within that week?

I posted last night in the C&R forum but no reply. Can someone answer before I put my envelope in the mail? The ATF states 2 copies, does that mean a total of 4 pages to the ATF or do they mean 2 pages to the ATF then the other copy (2 pages) to the CLEO?

I requested 2 sets of forms thinking of giving one to my buddy but the more I read the instructions the more I get confused as to if they want the form filled out twice and sent to them for a total of 4 pages instead of 2.

Comment

C&R

I hear that they are going to get rid of C&R next year. Save your money and time, wait until things get straighten out.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfe View Post
              I hear that they are going to get rid of C&R next year. Save your money and time, wait until things get straighten out.
              Where did you hear that from? Do you have a link or anything or was it just someone in a gunstore trying to get you to buy from them so they can get their 10% mark-up?
              THA - member #069
              KGC - member #11

WHY ME WHEN THERE IS AN ATHEIST JUST DOWN THE STREET?!?!

http://www.warrifles.com
              One great place.

Comment

C&R

Got it from another forum, hope it is not true. Forgot what forum. Things will not straighten out, they will only get worse.

Comment

Well so much more the reason to get it now than later. I doubt they will "recall" the licenses but IF AND I REPEAT IF there is any truth to the rumor and it actually does happen I would GUESS that they would let the licenses "sunset" as they come for renewal.

I'd rather have 3 years than no years. I sent mine in on 3/5 and my bank card got charged about a week ago. The Sheriff's office is on the other side of town and I have not received any phone call yet telling me he "does not approve". He appears to be quite anti-gun so I would not have been surprised to receive a call trying to make up some reason I could not have a C&R as soon as it came across his desk.

Comment

Originally posted by SCRich View Post
                    Well so much more the reason to get it now than later. I doubt they will "recall" the licenses but IF AND I REPEAT IF there is any truth to the rumor and it actually does happen I would GUESS that they would let the licenses "sunset" as they come for renewal.

I'd rather have 3 years than no years. I sent mine in on 3/5 and my bank card got charged about a week ago. The Sheriff's office is on the other side of town and I have not received any phone call yet telling me he "does not approve". He appears to be quite anti-gun so I would not have been surprised to receive a call trying to make up some reason I could not have a C&R as soon as it came across his desk.
                    Glad to hear it's taking awhile for others; I sent in my packet about the same time and haven't seen any action from ATF yet. Nothing in the mail, no phone calls, and they still haven't cashed the check. Maybe they have been getting swamped with applications

Comment

I would not call that no action since they did charge my card but oh well. After dealing with the CMP I guess I have learned patience waiting for my
                      M1's and 1903's.

Comment

Still waiting on my C&R. I applied 4 months ago!!!

Comment

Sent mine on 3/5 and still waiting, they got paid but I'm still waiting.

Comment

Working...
                          X