• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust remover & neutralizer for nice K98

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartman
    started a topic Rust remover & neutralizer for nice K98

Rust remover & neutralizer for nice K98

Well I scored a very cool 1942 k98 mauser that is 100% matching (yes bolt too) but due to previous owners retarded storage methods it has some rust on the receiver. Significant rust.. Orange and crusty. Some pitting.
    Saddest part is gun is in beautiful overall shape, stock unmolested or sanded at all. All stampings in stock are crisp , shiny bright bore.

I've been polishing some of it off very carefully. I don't want to take off any blue around the rusted sections but somehow dissolve the rust and stop/neutralize whats left..

Anybody know of a good product for such a situation?? I know I'm asking a lot.
    A friend just says slather with Ballistol and let the rust be, another says Kanos Kroil is a magic elixer too.

Thanks

• Cartman
    replied
    My wife is out of town with our camera. I'll try and snap a shot or two and get them posted. Like I said I never took a before photo but believe me anything would have been an improvement over it's found condition.
    It really tics me off when people just completely neglect any gun , much less a true WW 2 relic. This thing was just tossed in a basement and forgotten. Only silver lining is no d-bags with belt sanders and pachmayr recoil pads got to her either. Oh well she is recuperating nicely now, soaking in a light film of Kroil while the Horst Wessel Leid plays.

Stay tuned

Leave a comment:

• Fire Base Gloria
    replied
    Sure would like to see some pics of this.. sounds like a real prize.

Leave a comment:

• dozier
    replied
    Originally posted by Cartman View Post
    If I didn't see this stuff work like it does I wouldn't believe it. Got the Kroil and some Bronze wool from Brownells. The Kroil soaks into rust like butter on a hot biscuit. I regret I didn't take a before picture but I am happy with the outcome. Soaking the rust overnight really helps. This was deep crusty orange rust blotches on good surrounding blue. What really blows me away was the ability to get the rust off and then see a blue/black patina under it.. No it's not perfect but for a gun that survived since 42' it looks great.
    Use this stuff sparingly, apply with q-tips etc. One drop will spread all over.. You'll see what I mean. What I did was turn the gun over trigger-guard up on a cardboard box. I could then dab on the Kroil and gravity would keep it from going to areas I wanted left alone.

Great stuff !!
    Been watching this post to see how things worked out. It's really too bad that there isn't some miracle cure for removing the pitting, other than polishing down/reblueing, and decreasing a guns value. At Besides stopping further rusting, it looks like you brought out the finish under the rust. Good going. dozier

Leave a comment:

• Cartman
    replied
    Kroil is amazing

If I didn't see this stuff work like it does I wouldn't believe it. Got the Kroil and some Bronze wool from Brownells. The Kroil soaks into rust like butter on a hot biscuit. I regret I didn't take a before picture but I am happy with the outcome. Soaking the rust overnight really helps. This was deep crusty orange rust blotches on good surrounding blue. What really blows me away was the ability to get the rust off and then see a blue/black patina under it.. No it's not perfect but for a gun that survived since 42' it looks great.
    Use this stuff sparingly, apply with q-tips etc. One drop will spread all over.. You'll see what I mean. What I did was turn the gun over trigger-guard up on a cardboard box. I could then dab on the Kroil and gravity would keep it from going to areas I wanted left alone.

Great stuff !!

Leave a comment:

• The Preacher
    replied
    Let me know how it works out for you; when I read the title I thought "why wouldn't a soak in diesel & a scrub with 0000 steel wool do the job?" but leaving intact bluing on the steel might not happen with that path of action.

I have an old .20 gauge I need to save that my dad handed over to me not long ago. Real shame; I always spray my collection down with automotive silicone before long term storage....my dad apparently doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• gtodan
    replied
    Bronze "tooth" brushes also work well on the small parts. I got mine at Harbor Freight Tools.

Leave a comment:

• Cartman
    replied
    kroil

That's reassuring, good to hear success story. Today I ordered Bronze wool and Kroil from Brownells. Can't wait to get started with both. At least I will be able to stop the rusting and get it presentable.

Leave a comment:

• reverendg
    replied
    Nice to know....I knew kroil was the stuff to go with for freeing stuck parts and getting it to "creep" between joints (removing flywheels, sheaves, etc...) but never knew it could help derust a weapon.

Leave a comment:

• gtodan
    replied
    I just treated a friends Mauser model 34. It had corrosion and pitting. I removed all the wood. Disassmbled. Soaked the smaller metal parts in Kroil. I then put some Kroil in a small bowl and proceeded to slather it on the barrell/receiver with a fine bronze wool. I let it set for a day. I then started to remove any left over corrosion with fresh bronze wool and fresh kroil. Just enough elbow grease to remove the problem. Cleaned up really nice, leaving any blueing in place. I left a light coating of the Kroil in place as a preservative. I work the bore the same way using standard bore brushes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X