• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confederate Sniper Rifle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Sniper Rifle

owned by a TN man who killed at least 36 "Yankees" after the blue coats decided to kill and behead his two sons. That's what you get for trying to be neutral.

full story: http://www.murfreesboropost.com/whit...kees-cms-26639

The Union of the civil war era looks unnervingly like the Taliban of today...
    "The difference between a pessimist and an optimist is that the pessimist usually has more information."

"Where law ends tyranny begins. Where law begins, tyranny becomes legal."

“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.” ― Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by opsec View Post
      The Union of the civil war era looks unnervingly like the Taliban of today...
      I agree with your sentiment completely. After reading a number of "accurate" historical accounts of the war, it seemed to me the union forces had a penchant for killing civilians and destroying towns to no clear purpose other than they were southerners. IMO they held the southerners in such disdain they were trying to "cleanse" the south.
      Quando mundum finit opus nos incipiet

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

“When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty” ~ Benjamin Franklin

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." ~ Lucius Cornelius Sulla

Comment

Originally posted by Fallschirmjager View Post
        I agree with your sentiment completely. After reading a number of "accurate" historical accounts of the war, it seemed to me the union forces had a penchant for killing civilians and destroying towns to no clear purpose other than they were southerners. IMO they held the southerners in such disdain they were trying to "cleanse" the south.
        Some of the most brutal atrocities of the war were committed by "those people".

The movie Outlaw Jossey Wales discusses this very thing. Missouri was a haven of guerilla activity. Bloody Bill Anderson, Quantrill, Frank and Jesse James, and a whole host of others fought against the Yankees, Kansas Redlegs and Jayhawkers, and other types who raped and pillaged the countryside. This was one reason GEN Lee decided to end the war instead of disbanding the Army of Northern Virginia and turn to guerilla activities in the Shenandoah. Colonel Porter Alexander wanted to do just that, and Lee said no, it would ruin the South even worse.

Comment

I've read quite a bit about the late unpleasantness. Are there any sources I could look up or read about these atrocities? Other than the Lawrence Kansas massacre I can't think of accounts of the deliberate killing of civilians in anything I have read. But then I don't recall things like I used to.
          NRA Life , USAF, USAR

I like big fat men, they make more noise when they fall, and sometimes they never get up again. Tucco-Good Bad and the Ugly.

Everybody's funny, now you funny too.

Comment

Working...
          X