• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

922r compliance stuff and what parts to change!!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 922r compliance stuff and what parts to change!!!!

Here it is in black and white folks! This is great!!!!

What parts to change to sta out of jail!!!!

There is a mistake in the FNFAL catagory. It leaves the sear blank and shows the disconector. FAL's have sears. Not disconectors. Though getting hard to get US sears have been/are made for the FN FAL and L1A1. [Pepsi]

Comment

Nope. 922R is alive and well. It's the Import ban. The The Clintonista AW ban sunset last September. That one is the one that kept us from having flash suppressors and other goodies on our rifle. US parts compliance (922R) does not have a sunset and was an exectutive order by Bushy 1. IIRC.

Comment

Mistake/Misinformation in the ATF Letter -- Page 2

There is a mistake in the information of the ATF letter, page two, item "G."

Item G. reads as follows in the letter:

"G. SAR-8, SAR-4800 these rifles are based on the FN/FAL and would have the same number of imported parts as the FN/FAL type rifle."

The misinformation they are offering is that the SAR-8 and the SAR-4800 are BOTH based on the FN/FAL rifle. This is NOT correct. The SAR-8 rifle is based on the Heckler and Koch HK-91 or G3 rifle.

However, the SAR-4800 is based on the FN/FAL style rifle.

I know this, because I own both of these rifles.

The parts count is the same on both rifles, both have 17 imported parts...

BUT... the parts on each rifle that have been imported are DIFFERENT !!!

See the table in the above link, and it does list which parts are imported for each rifle.

Here is a picture of my two SAR rifles (as well as my new SOCOM 16)

From the top in the picture:

Springfield Armory SAR-8..........-- HK-91 clone (Made in Greece)
        Springfield Armory SAR-4800.....-- FN/FAL clone (Made in Brazil)
        Springfield Armory SOCOM 16....-- Made in the U.S.A !!!

I suppose what really ticks me off, is the random generalization the ATF can throw into a professionally written document, which now I see has a major error (pertaining to generalizing both rifles as the same), and they have absolutely no accountability as far as being obviously WRONG in the text.

And these are the same guys who are supposed to be enforcing the firearms laws of our nation?

It might be a small detail, but it is a very specific small detail, that if someone were to lay that two-page letter down beside both rifles, and decide to use that official document from the ATF as a pattern when changing the guns, they would be misinformed to believe, by inferrence, that both rifles are the same internally... "because the ATF said so"...

Has it come to having to watch every jot and tittle of every document ever passed down from these guys?

In my opinion, the whole "parts count" issue is a total waste of time to enforce, and a complete bunch of bureaucratic red tape and B.S. Just one more way to obviously and openly confuse and entrap the general public.

Jam Handy

Comment

All that page shows is a list of all of the parts in the various rifles.

IIRC it is a specific number of said parts that must be US to be in compliance. What is the number of those parts for the FAL?

If I replace the shoulder and forearm stocks, the pistol grip and receiver, how many other parts must be US origin?

Comment

Originally posted by Libertarian View Post
            All that page shows is a list of all of the parts in the various rifles.

IIRC it is a specific number of said parts that must be US to be in compliance. What is the number of those parts for the FAL?

If I replace the shoulder and forearm stocks, the pistol grip and receiver, how many other parts must be US origin?
            Here's the best list I have seen.
            Also, the best place to buy your Fal Stuff,
            http://www.gunpartsguy.com/1228624.html
            James is #1
            Guy

Comment

How do I know if a FAL is in compliance without pulling it apart and asking each part where it was made?

If I buy from a reputable FFL 'ed gun shop, is it safe to assume it's compliant?

Comment

Originally posted by Tak View Post
                How do I know if a FAL is in compliance without pulling it apart and asking each part where it was made?

If I buy from a reputable FFL 'ed gun shop, is it safe to assume it's compliant?
                Nope,
                Remember "Ignorance of the law is NO excuse" Do your homework and only buy from someone with good feedback that knows what they are doing. For instance, when I sell a Fal, I always post what parts have been changed inorder to be compliant.
                922r compliance parts,
                HTS
                PG
                Gas Piston
                Muzzel Device
                Handgaurds
                Stock
                Get the picture??
                Most all your US parts are marked "USA" There are some advertised as "US" parts but are not clearly marked. I don't buy them. I buy most all my us parts from GunPartsGuy. He ONLY sells US marked parts.
                My .02

Comment

Thanks for the .02 cents - I'll have to see what I can find out. The one I'm looking at, at a shop, has a DSA receiver for starters and some vintage furniture. It never occured to me parts origin was an issue after the AWB Sunset. Crazy laws !

Comment

Originally posted by Tak View Post
                    Thanks for the .02 cents - I'll have to see what I can find out. The one I'm looking at, at a shop, has a DSA receiver for starters and some vintage furniture. It never occured to me parts origin was an issue after the AWB Sunset. Crazy laws !
                    Remember,
                    if it has an imported muzzel devise, you need 7 US parts. Mag floorplate and follower can be used and count as 2 parts.
                    G

Comment

Question then.
                      So after one replaces the required 7-10 parts, is it illegal to posses the old ones sitting in a box?

Also(sorry)does the flash hider have to be pinned/soldered on if it didn't come that way?
                      Thanks.

Comment

It's not illegal to own the parts, or even have them on a rifle as long as the total count is correct. 922r says it unlawful to possess or manufacture or cause to be manufactured a weapon without the minimum necessary US parts... You can own foreign made AK with 100% foreign parts, (Pre Import ban), or you can buy, build piece together a kit weapon with the proper mix of US parts.. You have to get a copy of 922r. As not any part counts. stocks, pistol grips, hand guards, muzzle devices.. But not every weapon had the same systems. So you really need a 922r list. I check them off. Receiver, 1,... etc. Caution on Mag's for compliance.. If you can't tell WHICH mag is the compliance parts mag.. Oh well... there goes the count... Lastly not every count is the same.. AK, HK G3, CETME, is 7.. The Kalil is 3... So you have to have a good understanding of 922r, the weapon function and system you are wanting to build and patience.. You may have to do a lot of hunting.

Comment

Working...
                        X