• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Field Stripping, Bolt/Carrier Assembly

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Stripping, Bolt/Carrier Assembly

The "check lever" is really called the bolt locking lever. I didn't want to confuse it with the locking piece in the bolt.

Your fired brass will look like this. The marks are from the chamber flutes.
    Last edited by Battlerifleman; 02-23-2008, 01:02 PM.

Hey...

Whose mountains are those behind your shell casings?

Comment

Those mountains are the Cascades, near Mt. Baker. Almost in Canada. There are bears and plenty of cougars around those parts.

Comment

Cascades...

Pretty set of Peaks

Comment

I'm in the South Puget Sound. Washington State is beautiful but currently being swarmed with "undesirables" from elsewhere

Thanks for the thread, battlerifleman. I have a HK 91 but I'm rusty since she's not a shooter. I have a new PTR 91 coming in a few days, though
          Rap, Tap, Bang and reacquire. the Threat

Comment

Glad to help out.

I grew up in Oregon. Pronounced Orygun.
            There used to be a sign on our southern border that read "Welcome to Oregon, have a nice visit but please don't stay."
            That politically incorrect sign has been gone for decades now.

Comment

I'd like to make a couple of strong suggestions:

1) Do NOT wait until you are out in the field to learn the initially tricky bolt/bolt carrier disassembly/assembly. Practice it at home. Do it at least ten times before you try it out in the field. Like a lot of things it seems counterintuitive at first.

2) Do not dicker around with the charging handle spring for a simple field-strip clean and lube. Getting that spring to lay right has always been my biggest gripe about the gun, next to the long break in time for the charging handle assembly itself. If at all possible, don't mess with it unless you're at home or in the shop.

Comment

Excellent tutorial. It has saved my butt on several occasions.

Comment

Thanks for posting this!!!!!!!! I dread taking mine apart! Always had to get my gunsmith buddy to refresh me. Mine is so tight, I'll have to get channel locks (2) to assemble.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragmatic View Post
                    I'd like to make a couple of strong suggestions:

1) Do NOT wait until you are out in the field to learn the initially tricky bolt/bolt carrier disassembly/assembly. Practice it at home. Do it at least ten times before you try it out in the field. Like a lot of things it seems counterintuitive at first.

2) Do not dicker around with the charging handle spring for a simple field-strip clean and lube. Getting that spring to lay right has always been my biggest gripe about the gun, next to the long break in time for the charging handle assembly itself. If at all possible, don't mess with it unless you're at home or in the shop.
                    +1
                    Once you have it down it's simple to repeat. I have quite a few roller lockers so it's routine.

Comment

Working...
                    X