• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Brother, meet Little Brother part II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bren10man
    started a topic Big Brother, meet Little Brother part II

Big Brother, meet Little Brother part II

Picked this up and test fired it today, no flaws.

HK USP Compact .45 ACP, with nite sites and 3x German marked mags. Like its big brother USP Tactical .45 ACP, it is also date-coded AH (2007).
    Last edited by bren10man; 01-09-2013, 09:09 PM.

• ancient woodsman
    replied
    From the LE end, the failures with rail-mounted accessories on Glocks were very much a problem with the Gen 3 22s & 23s. Apparently not so much with the other models, but of course those two make up a bulk of Glock agency sales.

I have enough rails on various things, and no Glocks. Had a beautiful Gen 2 17 about 20 years ago and stupidly gave it up. Of the Glocks, I rally liked the Gen 2 over the 1, 3, or especially 4. Just personal, I guess. Recently found a like-new, in-the-box (Tupperware!) Gen 2, no-rail 17 and have it on lay-away now. Too many funerals lately (six now in the last four weeks) have made me re-assess my wants & needs, so I'm picking up a few more wants & needs.

Unlike the "rail/no rail" argument on SIGs - I have plenty of both and don't mind either way - I'm not a fan of the rail on personal Glocks. Yes, I see the utility of the railed Glock and know many officers who have them set up with the appropriate light, but that's not for me for personal use. Generally for personal use it's going to be a SIG anyway, and the light is going to be separate and used Harries-style.

I'd just like to have a nice Glock again. What the heck, right? And what could be more representative of Glock than an early-ish 17.

Hope to have that Gen 2 17 by the end of the year if everything goes right.

AW

Leave a comment:

• Briansammo
    replied
    They are finding out though (most manufacturers, so this is a general statement) that adding accessories to these rails can cause malfunctions, by adding too much weight (downward pressure) on the dust cover - which is the actual term for the area that has been modified to accept accessories.
    Problem with the Gen 1 frames is they are a single reinforcement pin model and I prefer the Gen 2, 3 & 4 2 pin Glock models.
    It's a good with the bad to have what you want example.

The good news is - Glock has made this formerly weak area stronger and thicker, for me that is good, since I had a Glock 20 2nd Gen pistol split in that area.
    I fell on my sword and just bought Gen 3's, I can live with the 'not used by me' accessory rail.
    Most cops I know (btw) do not have accessories on their gun, it makes the weapon clumsy and if you have a light on your handgun, perps know exactly where to shoot.

Leave a comment:

• Grunt Medic TXARNG
    replied
    Originally posted by Briansammo View Post
    Damn it, just found out you can't even get a Glock minus the accessory rail.
    Who's idea was it to put this on every damn gun out there?
    I bet the new Red Rider BB guns have the damn things on them too!
    You can still find Gen 1 Glock frames, if it bothers you that much. Me, I see the rail as an optional contact point for creating a VERY fast open carry holster. I'll post pics if that particular project ever comes to fruition. Glock primarily caters to the Police market - and a weapon mounted light is a GOOD idea for many of them.

Leave a comment:

• bren10man
    replied
    delete

delete
    Last edited by bren10man; 07-27-2013, 08:13 PM. Reason: delete

Leave a comment:

• das Gewehr
    replied
    Damn, I loved my USP. It never had a single FTF, ever. I convinced a friend to buy one when he got his permit. Then I got mine, went to the gun store and it just felt too big for my hand. I have a large hand, but my fingers are not commensurate. It's like the webbing between my fingers are too long. I'd almost like to have surgery on my hands to free up my finger length, but who is going to go for that? Anyway, I bought a S&W Sigma in.40 for over $500 (what they were selling for at the time when they were first introduced). It fit my hand like a glove. Too bad it was a Class A Piece of ****e. It couldn't fire more than 1 or two rounds prior to stovepiping. Sent it to S&W to polish feel ramp and do some other stuff, same result. Eventually traded it for a USP, which I should have bought and a boatload of cash. I think the store, a different one, gave me $250 for the Sigma. Never again would I buy that.

Lost my permit as you're only allowed to carry to and from range, something nobody observes in the age of 24 hour ranges, except I happened to have it on September 12, 2001 and had a sales call with a cardiologist at the VA Hospital (Federal Property). I saw the police checkpoint and knew I was done for. I had a cased AR in the trunk and a couple loaded mags along with all my sales brochures. After spending a fine day handcuffed to a chair in the VA's Federal Police office, I was permitted to leave, sans guns of course. Got the AR back, but since they verified my permit with the Suffolk County PD, the cat was out of the bag. A nice cop called me and siad since the VA cops said I was nice and cooperative (and a veteran), he was going to "do me a favor" and allow me to surrender my permit in lieu of revocation, so I could get it back in five years and I would never have to answer "Yes" on any questionnaire that asks if you've ever had a license or permit of any kind revoked or suspended. Never bothered to reapply. Screw it.

Leave a comment:

• Briansammo
    replied
    Damn it, just found out you can't even get a Glock minus the accessory rail.
    Who's idea was it to put this on every damn gun out there?
    I bet the new Red Rider BB guns have the damn things on them too!

Leave a comment:

• bren10man
    replied
    Originally posted by Briansammo View Post
    As an old Sig-Sauer NUT - what I hate nowadays is that everything has a damn accessory rail if you want it or not.
    Personally, a handgun is a last resort type weapon for anyone who is being honest about things......so I have no desire to have a bunch of crap hanging off of an accessory rail.
    So, if I buy a NEW Version of anything older that I own......I'm stuck with something I will never use on my otherwise perfectly good gun.

Otherwise, nice looking gun and good pics.
    I'll swing by soon, in person and pick it up.
    I think you got me a really nice Christmas gift this year!

I don't think sooo.... Homey don't play that!!!

10-4 on the rail thing. I am not a fan of rails for the most part, either, on a pistol, especially SIGs...

Leave a comment:

• Briansammo
    replied
    As an old Sig-Sauer NUT - what I hate nowadays is that everything has a damn accessory rail if you want it or not.
    Personally, a handgun is a last resort type weapon for anyone who is being honest about things......so I have no desire to have a bunch of crap hanging off of an accessory rail.
    So, if I buy a NEW Version of anything older that I own......I'm stuck with something I will never use on my otherwise perfectly good gun.

Otherwise, nice looking gun and good pics.
    I'll swing by soon, in person and pick it up.
    I think you got me a really nice Christmas gift this year!

Leave a comment:

• northforest
    replied
    I've always liked the H&K's even though I'm a cheap ****er and who owns Glocks. A guy 2 persons down from me was running his HK without cleaning in a week-long shooting class a couple years back. He dropped a magazine and stuffed it back in with a pebble under the top round which seized it up but otherwise it probably would have finished out without a single malfunction.

Nice guns no doubt and the threaded barrel option is a real plus too.

Leave a comment:

• bren10man
    replied
    Updated now.

You have seen the before.....received package yesterday.

I had already installed oversize mag release. Last night, installed ambi safety and spurred hammer.

This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite pistols....very handy.
    Last edited by bren10man; 01-09-2013, 09:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HKaltwasser
    replied
    Very cool. That tactical is dreamy.

Leave a comment:

• bren10man
    replied
    Just ordered 2x mags with finger rests (I prefer to have at least 5 mags per pistol I own), spurred hammer, and ambi-safety.

Leave a comment:

• Zamion
    replied
    Those be pretty.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X