• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folding/collapseable stocks for HK/G3/PTR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding/collapseable stocks for HK/G3/PTR

Hey guys, I haven't posted here for a couple of years. I hope y'all are doing okay. I have a few questions about stocks. I have a PTR91F that I've shot extensively, so I'm not a rookie when it comes to this platform.
    I've recently become obsessed with the PTR91SC. Seems like a great deal for a proven design. But, I want it shorter. I'm looking for user experience with any of the aftermarket stocks.
    So... not the actual HK "commando" stock. That thing is brutal on this shooter's bonyassed shoulders. I've been looking at various offerings at HKParts and RTG. I'm leaning towards one HKParts sells, mostly because it uses an actual HK buffer instead of a rubber buffer.
    If any of you guys have an opinion (about the subject at hand), I'd like to hear it.

Happy New Year!

Originally posted by bikebrian View Post
    Hey guys, I haven't posted here for a couple of years. I hope y'all are doing okay. I have a few questions about stocks. I have a PTR91F that I've shot extensively, so I'm not a rookie when it comes to this platform.
    I've recently become obsessed with the PTR91SC. Seems like a great deal for a proven design. But, I want it shorter. I'm looking for user experience with any of the aftermarket stocks.
    So... not the actual HK "commando" stock. That thing is brutal on this shooter's bonyassed shoulders. I've been looking at various offerings at HKParts and RTG. I'm leaning towards one HKParts sells, mostly because it uses an actual HK buffer instead of a rubber buffer.
    If any of you guys have an opinion (about the subject at hand), I'd like to hear it.

Happy New Year!
    I have both HK-91 and HK-93.

1. HK-91 is BEST with the standard stock with heavy buffer. You can also get the PSG-1 and MSG-90 stocks with their specific buffers. I do NOT recommend shooting an HK-91 with a folding stock of any kind. I have one for looks only. My cheek hurts just putting the rifle up to firing position, with the sliding HK stock installed. I have a friend of mine who had an HK-91 for years (sold it 2 years ago to finance honey-moon to Ireland) and told me that it is OK, however. Heavy buffer WILL NOT FIT in any of those. Also, NEVER EVER put that plastic after-market white "buffer" in an HK-91 type rifle. You will split the receiver. I have one, and after I read the warning, tossed it. I do not want to ruin a $2500 rifle over a $5 POS piece of plastic.

2. HK-93 being .223 caliber does not need a heavy buffer. You can shoot it all day long in either the folding stock or standard stock. There is no felt recoil. Feels like shooting a Ruger 10/22.

I hope the above helps. RTG and HKParts.net and the HK Forum are THE places to go to for anything HK. Do not pass GO and do not collect $200 until you have consulted those 3 websites (and www.warrifles.com, of course!!!).
    Last edited by bren10man; 01-05-2014, 02:38 AM.

Comment

This is what I had in mind:
      http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/AR-St...m#.Usyoy7T4KbU

It uses the HK-type buffer. No rubber baby buggy buffers in this stock. I just wish it came with the mil-spec dimension buffer tube. I have a B5 SOPMOD stock ready to go on it. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a mil-spec tube.

My 91F has an SG-1 stock with the thick rubber butt pad on it. The thing is not as uncomfortable as others have said. The key is getting rid of the plastic hatchet of a stock it comes out of the box with.

I wish PTR would do an HK93 that took AR mags. They would sell boat loads.
      And start supplying them with a longer selector.

Comment

Originally posted by bikebrian View Post
        This is what I had in mind:
        http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/AR-St...m#.Usyoy7T4KbU

It uses the HK-type buffer. No rubber baby buggy buffers in this stock. I just wish it came with the mil-spec dimension buffer tube. I have a B5 SOPMOD stock ready to go on it. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a mil-spec tube.

My 91F has an SG-1 stock with the thick rubber butt pad on it. The thing is not as uncomfortable as others have said. The key is getting rid of the plastic hatchet of a stock it comes out of the box with.

I wish PTR would do an HK93 that took AR mags. They would sell boat loads.
        And start supplying them with a longer selector.
        Look around on the board....the HK part. You will see what I have done to my HK91 and HK93.

Both of mine have the HK-21 butt-pad on them. I have cheek pieces on them, too, that are easily removable.

Your SG-1 stock is HIGHLY collectable.

If you take an HK93, convert it to NATO spec for NATO/M16 type mags, you have in essence created an HK G41 (prototypes only made for NATO trials in early 1980s).

Comment

[QUOTE=bren10man;628131]I have both HK-91 and HK-93.

Also, NEVER EVER put that plastic after-market white "buffer" in an HK-91 type rifle. You will split the receiver. I have one, and after I read the warning, tossed it. I do not want to ruin a $2500 rifle over a $5 POS piece of plastic.

Please elaborate on your above statement. This is the first time I've heard of this problem and - if we're talking about the same vendor of this "white buffer" - it's news to me as they have sold thousands for different war rifles without any (at least to me) problems.

Not doubting you, but please provide more info on why you think they can cause a split receiver.

Thanks.

Comment

Source: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-...-question.html

From my personal experiance and from other posts I have read in the past I do not recomend using the Buffer Tech buffer.

These buffers make the original buffer useless. Also they do not allow the bolt carrier to go as far back as it is designed to. This throws off the geometry of the operating system and causes additional stress to the rifle. These buffers can cause cracked stocks and roller marks in the receiver.

I put one of these buffers in my Cetme years ago and the first day out it cracked my wood stock!! The recoil was noticably more harsh with the Buffer Tech buffer than with the buffer the rifle was designed to use.

Check out the following thread:

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...ead.php?t=2731

Thread: http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64539

Quote:posted by CThurman on HKPRO:
            If you use a buffer-tech in a HK91 or 93, you will get roller marks. If it doesn't happen sooner, it will happen later. Roller marks, sometimes called dimples or pimples occur in the trough that runs lengthwise down each side of the reciever. It happens when the rollers are forced violently out against the reciever as the carrier hits the stock with force that is not sufficiently buffered. The 91 and 93 guns need a spring type buffer in either the carrier or the stock to be properly buffered against such damage.

Roller marks are rumored to occur due to a variety of reasons. However, there are only several reasons they will occur. Those include: incorrect bolt gap, use of wrong locking piece, and improper buffering. In the occasions that I have seen, all were related to the issue of improper buffering combinations.

With HK's I have found that the best set up for internal operating components is often the one that was originally offered by the manufacturer. The buffer tech buffers for the SKS and the AK47 work very well the designers just must not have understood the operating system of the HK/Cetme.

If you use either the HK heavy buffer or the PSG/MSG90 buffer in combination with the HK 21 rubber butt pad you will have extremly light recoil the proper way with parts that were designed for your rifle by the engineers that designed the rifle. This combination will not cause additonal stress to the rifle.
            Bottom line:

Buffer Technology buffer/shock absorber are great in M1911s, M1As, etc. NOT good for HK G-type of rifles (HK91, PTR91, CETME, other clones). I have them in my M1911s and all 3 of my M1As. NO way would I put one in my HK91 or HK93. Those I let the original buffers or heavy buffers designed by HK do their job, that they were designed to do.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...turer_1=BUFFER TECHNOLOGIES

071-110-008WB

Avoid the above part number LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X