• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it good for hunting (Stalk Hunting in clear cut areas)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it good for hunting (Stalk Hunting in clear cut areas)

Hey guys. I have a Sig Sauer M400 5.56mm with a 16" barrel and flip up open sights. Have any of you hunted deer with a similar type rifle? How effective is it? I have some Winchester HP for it (Expensive as hell!!) and was thinking about doing some stalk hunting with it this year. What do you think? Should I?

When you hit the deer with fmj they take off, give it a shot and see how the Winchester HP's works out and let us know.

Comment

The 5.56 round is in the low spectrum of effective rounds. While good at wounding small people, any wild animal is at the top of the survival food chain. Do yourself and the animal a favor and go with more gun. 243, 25-06, 6mm, even 250 Savage is much better. I personally use a 250 Savage, but pick my shots with discretion. YMMV
      FOR GOD AND COUNTRY

NRA Life Member
      NSSA Life Member
      Past Master F&AM
      Oath Keeper
      USNAVY 1968-'74
      Viet Nam Survivor
      Military Order of the Stars and Bars

If I'm not home, just slide the money under the door.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Remember that when the .17 Remington was introduced, Remington paid a big-game hunter to take every big game animal on North America - including grizzly, polar bear, moose, and elk - with that .17 Remington. It can be done, so don't let anyone tell you that the .223 is "too small" when it's already been done with ...it depends at that point on the shooter and proper bullet selection for the size of the game.

The Winchester 64 grain softpoint (X223R2; Super X Power Point) was made for a whitetail-sized medium game animal, to be fired from a 1-9 or 1-7" twist barrel. For an average-sized deer it should be fine assuming you can put your rounds in to the chest (heart & lungs) area. If you don't handload, this is the type of off-the-shelf round you want for whitetail with a .223. I would just about guarantee that no one from Winchester would recommend their hollowpoint for deer of any size - that's really a small-game load and can be explosive on groundhogs and such, but would most likely prematurely expand & fragment on a deer, leaving a wounded animal very able to run away faster than you can humanely catch & dispatch it.

I've got two M400s and they are astoundingly accurate with stock 16" barrels, but I can only vouch for that out to 200 yards. I've since added a pair of BCM uppers with different sights to give me more versatility, and added a Geissele SSA-E trigger to one and it is the bugnuts best trigger I've ever had on an AR. If you keep it you might want to consider a Geissele trigger - takes about 10 minutes to install, including reading the directions. Your rifle in stock configuration though should be accurate enough for the task at the ranges you seek.

One of my guys went hunting this past week with his young son and he gave his son his 16" M400. No success yet this year, but it's a common setup for them. Dad with a .308, son with the .223, this in an area where they are eligible for black bear and moose, too. And other years they have had success on whitetail with the .223 from the M400.

For whitetail assuming good loads and good marksmanship you should be all set within 300 yards or so with a load like the above Winchester and your M400. For any deer-like animal larger than whitetail you will probably want something bigger.

AW

Comment

I have killed a boat load with a 22lr. I said it was low end, not impossible. You just have to be good enough to hit where you aim. I like to go to them where I shot them, not track them for 2 miles.
          FOR GOD AND COUNTRY

NRA Life Member
          NSSA Life Member
          Past Master F&AM
          Oath Keeper
          USNAVY 1968-'74
          Viet Nam Survivor
          Military Order of the Stars and Bars

If I'm not home, just slide the money under the door.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

I know a few guys out here that use an AR and have taken deer with the 5.56. Back east in my home state you can't use a semi auto rifle for deer. Manual loading only. So I grew up where everyone used 30 caliber rifles except for the odd ball hunter who had a .222 .270 or .243. I'll stick with my 30's for deer.
            NRA Life , USAF, USAR

I like big fat men, they make more noise when they fall, and sometimes they never get up again. Tucco-Good Bad and the Ugly.

Everybody's funny, now you funny too.

Comment

Working...
            X