• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1st time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st time

I was sitting on a bench last night waiting for my son who coaches football. A young man approached me, stuck out his hand and says, "Thank you for your service." I shook his hand and said, "You're welcome. Thank you." This is the first time I can remember this happening to me. Caught me by surprise. I was wearing a very old and tattered unit ball cap. Maybe this is what caught his eye. I only hope my reply was appropriate as this was my first one. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope left for our country. Most people cross the street rather than pass me. Made me feel good but it doesn't take much to make me feel good. I also had my first taste of Blue Moon last night. Makes me sad I had to give it up because of the liver transplants. Beer seems to have come a long ways in the last 30 years!
    FOR GOD AND COUNTRY

NRA Life Member
    NSSA Life Member
    Past Master F&AM
    Oath Keeper
    USNAVY 1968-'74
    Viet Nam Survivor
    Military Order of the Stars and Bars

If I'm not home, just slide the money under the door.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Great story

That young man represents the generation that we need on board if this country is going to be turned around.

"It is always darkest just before the Day dawneth."

We're not out of this yet.

Comment

The same thing happened to me about a month ago.

We have Indiana veteran's plates on both our POVs; we were parking in a parking lot when a guy who looked to be in his early 20s came up to me. He said he saw my veteran's plate and thanked me for my service. I was a little surprised, but was able to think quickly enough to come up with, "Thank you - that means a lot."

One thing that makes my blood boil is when a veteran stands to speak at a town hall meeting and one of the Political Class maggots who has crapped on the Constitution every day of his life spouts a compulsory "thank you for your service" with patronizing effrontery. If they were truly grateful for the sacrifices of veterans and their families they would fulfill the oath of office that they took and defend the Constitution rather than trashing it.
      "There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights." - Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yes, the "thank you for your service" phrase has become the "thing" to do. I often wondered how I would respond and I thought I might say, "I didn't do it for you. I was doing it for the people of South Vietnam." But, with age some of the bitterness I felt for the cowards who dodged their obligations has subsided. I guess that's a good thing. But the embers of that fire still linger in my guts.
        FOR GOD AND COUNTRY

NRA Life Member
        NSSA Life Member
        Past Master F&AM
        Oath Keeper
        USNAVY 1968-'74
        Viet Nam Survivor
        Military Order of the Stars and Bars

If I'm not home, just slide the money under the door.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Best Thank you ever.

Best (and first) thank you I ever received, was one I received from my granddaughter. We were talking one weekend and she asked "Grandpa, are you a veteran"? Told her, "yes I am, honey". She said, "then tomorrow's your day". I was confused and said, "why is that"? She said "because tomorrow is Veterans day, grandpa". I said, "well thank you honey".

And then she said "no grandpa, Thank You!"

Still get choked up over that........

Comment

Working...
          X