• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Favorite WWII Fighter Aircraft?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Favorite WWII Fighter Aircraft?

Here we go Bama1157 A WWII thread:

This is a topic I have enjoyed for many years as my dad was a private pilot when I was younger. During a trip to the annual Osh Kosh EAA fly in I had a chance to meet the real Maj. Gregory (Pappy) Boyington.

Knowing the impact that the P-51D Mustang aircraft had on the outcome of WWII it would be an obvious choice for a favorite, but for beauty and function for me it's a toss up between the F4U Corsair and the Supermarine Spitfire.

I'll have to go with the F4U Corsair. The sleek lines and graceful gull wing design has always just got my attention. That's my two cents!

Swede62

The Ju-88 for it's versatility, the ME-262 for the first jet, and the Typhoon for it's destructive power.
    Proud Member:

Knights of the Golden Cross - 2013

Comment

C-47 for overall WWII aircraft.

Fighter? Probably the P-38. There is a beautiful one down at the War Eagles Museum at Santa Teresa, NM.

Comment

Do I have to pick just one if so the p-51 would be it

Comment

Hrmm....

ME-163 KOMET :) hahaha...

Seriously tho, I like the Pre-D P-51s...the ones that don't have the bubble tops...

Also the Zeke was pretty cool too...

L8R

J

Comment

Hands down the F4U Corsair.

Comment

Make mine a P-38 "Nightfighter." Nasty beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Rat
                The Ju-88 for it's versatility, the ME-262 for the first jet, and the Typhoon for it's destructive power.

I believe the Henkel HE-280 was the first jet fighter, took off on March 30th 1941 under its own power....

The ME-262 was the first operational, used in war fighter tho I think.

You also gotta love the Horten HO-229

Northrop probably did:

I love WWII topics.

J

Comment

I believe the Henkel HE-280 was the first jet fighter, took off on March 30th 1941 under its own power....

The ME-262 was the first operational, used in war fighter tho I think.

Yes, you are correct JP.
                  KMA - KGC - THA - #01
                  Owner:
                  www.WarRifles.com

'308 Holes Make Invisible Souls'

'The Path of Excess Leads to the Palace of Wisdom'

'Crush Your Enemies, See Them Driven Before You, Hear the Lamentations of their Women'

You cannot invade mainland America.
                  There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.

Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

Comment

P-38 fighter, or the P-47 Thunderbolt. It would take a licking and still get the pilot home... Navy/Marines the F4u Corsair no doubt although the P-40 took on a superior Jap Zero and had pehenominal results with the flying Tigers in China.
                    The Bomber would have to be the Flying fortress.

Comment

One of my grandfathers flew a P 38 during the war and so it has always been near the top of my list but I have also always favored one that most might consider an underdog of fighters.
                      The Hurricane was the workhorse of the Battle of Britain. It could be repaired by anyone who knew woodworking and how to sew. Unlike its flashier cousin the Spitfire which needed a competent crew of airframe mechanics to repair its battle damage. The Hurricane though not as glamorous as some others was the right tool for the job and if I remember my numbers correctly your chances of surviving the war were better in a Hurricane than a Spitfire by a substantial amount. Part of this I am sure is because they went after the bombers as the Spits went after the fighters but a large part is that they were just a very solid aircraft.

Comment

While not a FIGHTER per se, I always liked the diminutive MOSQUITO :)

:)

J

Comment

My vote goes to the Grumman F6F Hellcat (first thumbnail on left). It did it's job counterring Japan's Zero so well that more pilots made Ace in it than any other type of U.S. aircraft (in any service or any theater). It wasn't as sleek or beautiful as some other types, though, so it isn't remembered as highly as it should be.

But if we're voting for the prettiest plane of WWII my vote goes to the Italian Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario (second image).
                          Attached Files

Comment

That Italian job looks a lot like the Curtis P-40

Comment

P61

I like the P61, something about having 4 20mm and 4 .50cals makes me like her. Weighing over 10 tons empty and still making over 400mph is nice too. It looks like what you'd expect if a P38 and a B26 had a baby.

I guess I really don't have any one specific favorite, but I thought this one being the first purpose built night fighter deserved mention.

Comment

Working...
                              X