• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

favorite military attack aircraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite military attack aircraft

alright people this is a poll about your most favorite miltiary attack aircraft ranging from helos to WW2 planes allabout inovation design beauty and allout firepower.

my personal favorite is the SR-71 blackbird not really an attack plant but sure is fast for a spy plane beauty and inovation.
    sr-71
    4.62%
    p-51 mustang
    12.37%
    f-22 raptor
    2.83%
    f-16
    3.73%
    ah-64
    2.24%
    a-10 thunderbolt
    47.69%
    b-52
    4.32%
    b-2
    0.45%
    f-117 nighthawk
    0.75%
    other
    21.01%
    Last edited by LoBo; 04-04-2006, 03:35 PM.
    always share the goods with your friends.

Stuka. Fearsome distinctive noise, even if it had a small payload, and old style fixed gear design. The Stuka struck fear in many hearts on both fronts during the war. Fitted with 20mm cannons under each wings, it could do double duty as a light tank buster.
    Fortunately, it was outclassed by the end of the war, and easy prey for P-51s, and P-47s, but during it's hey day, it was the king of the ground attack planes.

Comment

The SR-71 is in now way an attack plane. But it is freaking cool. My favorite attack plane would be the A-10. There is just nothing like it, its a flying tank. but my favorite aircraft is the F-22 so i will vote for that.
      has anybody been to the national air and space museum in washngton DC. There is a ton of cool stuff there I would highly recomend it even if you had little interest in aviation.

Comment

i know the SR-71 isnt an attack plane but it does show true beauty in innovation and design and it unbelivably freakin fast exceeding 2,000 miles per hour.

Comment

There was an attack version of the SR71, (actually the RS-71.) It was equippend with a missle bay, and fired almost by dropping the thing. Trouble was, the YF12A went faster than it's own missles. The few made are buried out in the Davis Monthan AFB boneyard somewhere nice and secret.

Comment

I did not know they ever made that. can you find a link with some info.

I looked some stuff up and this is what i found on wikipedia

"The USAF had planned to redesignate the R-12 aircraft as the RS-71 (Reconnaissance-Strike) as the successor to the RS-70 Valkyrie, which had two test Valkyrie's flying at Edwards AFB, California. However, then USAF Chief of Staff Curtis LeMay preferred the SR designation and wanted the RS-70 to be named SR-70. Before the Blackbird was to be announced by Lyndon B. Johnson on February 29, 1964, LeMay lobbied to modify Johnson's speech to also read SR-71 instead of RS-71. The media transcript given to the press at the time still had the earlier RS-71 designation in places, creating the myth that the president had misread the plane's designation."

he is stuff i found about the YF-12 on wikipedia HERE

you learn new stuff every day!!!

Comment

thats amazing i never knew that i gona do some more research about that get some pic post some if you have them

Comment

If the government has something as far ahead of its time as the SR 22 was in the 60s, it would be almost beyond belief! And w/o doubt reason to kill to keep it secret. At ant rate Im sure there are things flying out there that would keep the UFO nuts busy for a lifetime.Speaking of real life spyplanes though what interests me was the major powers made do with thier highest performance aircraft and basically stripped them of any combat capability such as guns/sights,armor and anything that could be takjen off to give a performance edge.Of copurse they had to carry cameras or whats the point\
                right.But apparently they got the job done w/very nice pictures or again whats the point? Only a guess but I would tend to believe the stripped down P38 would have beenh an excellent package to build a spyplane on.The 2 pwerplants would offer some redundancy but on a practical level they would have offered enopugh speed to outrun the pursuit planes.Service cieling may also have been an advantage to the twin engine P38 allowing them simply to overfly thier target w/o fear of intrception.As well as sharing these advantages w/the British Mosquito. I dont have the info onhand but I would expect both planes mentioned would have had advantages in many areas including range and especially ALTITUDE.I would also put forward as an excellent possibly untouchable spyplane would be the german Arado 234 twin
                jet bomber,I have no performance specs in front of me for this aircraft either but I would expect they are also very impressive but possible quite short range.

Comment

my all time favorite was the p-38 lots of fire power and fast for its time it rocked my second favorite aircraft is the u2

Comment

Spent a month this summer driving from Seattle to, around, and back from Alaska - while driving south out of Fairbanks we were treated to warmups, rollouts, and touch-and-go's by the A-10s right alongside the Alaska Highway. The only better show I've seen was an afternoon at Myrtle Beach watching an A-10 pilot show off with attack runs just offshore.

flcracker

Comment

never actually seen an a-10 in the air before but on the ground yes dident get to stick around very long

where do you live in florida i live in titusville?
                      Last edited by LoBo; 02-02-2006, 05:59 PM.

Comment

A-4's Forever!!!!!!!!

Comment

Some others worth considering:

1) Sturmavik
                          2) F/A-18 Hornet
                          3) P61 Blackwidow
                          4) F111
                          5) Hellcat
                          6) F4U4 Corsair
                          7) Hawker Tempest
                          8) AC130-U
                          9) Su-25
                          10) Mi-24 Hind D

It might be easier to limit the choices to purely attack variants or multirole aircraft.

Comment

I always liked the A-6 Intruder,could carry one hell of a payload for a carrier based plane.

Comment

favorite aircraft

I like a lot of the vietnam era aircraft. The F-4 Phantom is my favorite and a close second is an aircraft fromthe same era and it has a prop. can anybody guess what is? they were frequently call by the name "SANDY".

Comment

Working...
                              X