Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MREdepot = Damaged Cans & Low Grade Food.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheLoneGunmen
    started a topic MREdepot = Damaged Cans & Low Grade Food.

MREdepot = Damaged Cans & Low Grade Food.

I ordered a lot of canned food from MRE depot over the past few group buys because I was seriously lacking in my food preps. Just recently I finished an addition to our house. In doing so, I had the contractor figure in a nice 8x12 walk-in closet with good solid shelving. My food prep storage area. This way I could move the cases out of our spare bedroom out of plain sight.

As I opened the cases to stack the cans on the shelf, I noticed a disturbing trend. It seemed like can after can of the Yoder's beef chunks were dented. Some not so bad, but some were dented so bad that the rims were actually touching the side of the cans.

After I was through stacking the cans, I realized that a full 76% of the Yoder's beef chunks cans were dented to the point that I am unsure whether or not they'll be safe for long term storage. I am fairly certain that I'll have to go ahead and eat these before they go bad.

What has me confused is that the boxes themselves are in perfect condition. Steve really packed these cans well and I never had any reason to believe that the cans could be damaged.

I'm pretty disappointed and upset because this defeats the whole purpose of purchasing these for long term preps when I have to eat them so soon. I spent several hundred dollars on the beef chunks alone.

Now I'm concerned that the cans I bought were "scratch and dent" returns that could not be sold elsewhere. Having worked at Food World in Birmingham back when I was in school I am aware that any damaged canned goods are returned by the retailer to the distributor for credit. The distributor must replace the bad with the good and then either sell or dispose of the damaged cans.

I tried calling to talk to Steve about this, but his mailbox has been full for the past two days in a row.

The cans of bacon for the most part were ok, but still had quite a few dented to the point of being unfit for storage.

Sorry about the rant, just had to vent a little. Has anyone else run into the same problem?

• Beerhall Paul
    replied
    I don't remember these MRE depots guys and will make sure to avoid them now.
    However, I am looking for other long term food options now that the Later Day Saints (Mormons) food bank program shut down 2 of their 3 locations last year. You don't have to be a Mormon to buy from them, at least not when they had 3 outlets, but I suspect that is no longer the case with greatly reduced volume and 2/3rd of their locations closed. I used to get some really good stuff from them, but probably not any longer, especially since I'm not a Church member of LDS.

Leave a comment:

• opsec
    replied
    At this point it doesn't matter if he does make good on the past. Nobody can trust him. MREDepot is forever on my blacklist.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. White
    replied
    thx won't be ordering from there as planned...

Leave a comment:

• progunner1957
    replied
    Originally posted by concerninged View Post
    Well it could be taken with a grain of salt as it seems pretty clear he is a liar and a thief.
    Sounds like it.

This guy needs to step up and make things right with everyone he has sold defective product to and/or owes money to. Not doing so could prove to be harmful to his financial related business health.
    Once SHTF, some of the people he has dirty-d***ed may come-a-callin' to balance the books.

Karma can be kind, or it can be a real bitch; it's all up to each of us which it turns out to be for us.

Leave a comment:

• Briansammo
    replied
    FOUR years later I contact this guy, he says he's been thinking about us lately (no doubt due to the Gabillion Dollars worth of food we all bought from him over many groups buys hosted here) BUT he just doesn't seem to remember promised/owed funds that there is no proof he ever sent. Because he Never Did!

I'm interested in seeing how long he takes to get back to me on this, as it would be nice to have what is owed paid, finally. He also only recalls a few folks coming to him for a refund or replacement, but it's obvious by reading this thread that many chucked it up to experience and moved on, with quite a few effected by his shipping of damaged and low grade food items back in 2008/9.

Therefore, unless something changes, my feelings about this guy have not changed. We'll see what happens!

Leave a comment:

• Briansammo
    replied
    Originally posted by 06en View Post
    I too have received advertising emails from MREdepot, but then again i had placed orders using the WR code long ago. I had always been tempted to buy some of the meat products from Steve, but realized that I was just as well of just buying canned meats in bulk at Costco. Then when Steve announced that he was working with Wal-Mart, it was the last straw for me. I had become discusted with that place years ago. I have not placed a foot inside their doors in many, many years. When Steve talked of his Wal-Mart deal, I was tempted to publicly state my displeasure and my intent to never deal with MREdepot again. I decided not to because so many post were wishing the man well in his endeavers. I did not wish to upset the apple cart and be scorned. But I guess I still rist being scorned with a few of my breef thoughts in this post. People can do as they please, but as for me I would rather pay more for less than EVER shop at Wal-Mart again. If they are the only place that has someing then I don't need it. So after taking the time to read the last 10 pages of this thread, it is clear for me that Steve & Wal-Mart will make fine bed fellows. If S ever HTF, he will find very few friends.

Welp, my guess is that Steve gets his personal stuff from Costco too.

Kinda like alot of drug dealers don't actually use the stuff they sell, because they know more about it than their customers do.

Come to think of it - when he and I spoke of his Honey Shortage during one of the last few Group Buys, he told me he has a Sam's & Costco membership account and considered just running down there and buying whatever he needed to cover the difference.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but if you were some huge ass food vendor, wouldn't you just buy stuff from yourself? Then again, maybe he's tried the Beef Chunks too?

Leave a comment:

• 06en
    replied
    My personal preferances

I too have received advertising emails from MREdepot, but then again i had placed orders using the WR code long ago. I had always been tempted to buy some of the meat products from Steve, but realized that I was just as well of just buying canned meats in bulk at Costco. Then when Steve announced that he was working with Wal-Mart, it was the last straw for me. I had become discusted with that place years ago. I have not placed a foot inside their doors in many, many years. When Steve talked of his Wal-Mart deal, I was tempted to publicly state my displeasure and my intent to never deal with MREdepot again. I decided not to because so many post were wishing the man well in his endeavers. I did not wish to upset the apple cart and be scorned. But I guess I still rist being scorned with a few of my breef thoughts in this post. People can do as they please, but as for me I would rather pay more for less than EVER shop at Wal-Mart again. If they are the only place that has someing then I don't need it. So after taking the time to read the last 10 pages of this thread, it is clear for me that Steve & Wal-Mart will make fine bed fellows. If S ever HTF, he will find very few friends.

Leave a comment:

• Army Brat
    replied
    Originally posted by coolhand77 View Post
    So what's the deal then when Steve says he IS the manufacturer? Can that be taken any other way than he's saying that he IS Yoder mfg.?
    I believe Yoder's is a private label manufacturing brand that Steve/MREDepot licenses and a cannery in Ohio produces, though you can buy the same products from that cannery on their website under their own name.

Usually in a private label canning, the private label owner actually pays for the raw materials, etc themselves and pay the cannery for their production services.

It is similar to supermarket brand foods. The supermarket generally doesn't actually own a cannery, they get it done under a private labeling agreement. So it is the supermarket's brand, but the actual production is done by someone else.

Leave a comment:

• The Preacher
    replied
    Originally posted by Briansammo View Post
    The Yoders Bacon is O.K., I've had way better, but not bad for canned pork, all the other Yoders stuff I've tried is marginal to down right gross.
    I really like the bacon, fortunately.

It's hard to produce bacon that looks like they just shoved the whole critter into an Another Brick In the Wall, Part II meat grinder.

I'm surprised people haven't found eyeballs... or worse... in that goop.

Leave a comment:

• Briansammo
    replied
    MREdepot still an allowed vendor/sponsor? Not just no but Hell No.

The Yoders Bacon is O.K., I've had way better, but not bad for canned pork, all the other Yoders stuff I've tried is marginal to down right gross.

Leave a comment:

• Paradude54
    replied
    I picked up this thread after it was already about 20 pages long or so and haven't read everything in it, but have things really gotten that bad? I haven't ordered anything in 8 or 10 months, but in the past I've had nothing but good service, both in shipping time and quality of food and packaging.

Is he still a sponsor?

I really like the Yoder meats and want some more, but I don't want to waste my money either.

Leave a comment:

• grassyknoll999
    replied
    Why can't you simply sue his sorry butt?

Leave a comment:

• concerninged
    replied
    Originally posted by coolhand77 View Post
    So what's the deal then when Steve says he IS the manufacturer? Can that be taken any other way than he's saying that he IS Yoder mfg.?
    Well it could be taken with a grain of salt as it seems pretty clear he is a liar and a thief.

Leave a comment:

• coolhand77
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X