• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Avoid ~ Two Faced Smith Enterprise, Inc.

These people are Slugs, I can no longer endorse them under any circumstances.

See the link for more info:

http://warrifles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72077
See more
See less

Recovering lead from shooting range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering lead from shooting range

I have been given the task of removing lead from a shooting range. I believe the berms have never been cleaned...ever, since they were built years ago. Does anyone have a good way to do this? It would be impossible to do it by hand so, some kind of equipment comes to mind....maybe a front loader and some kind of screen to separate the dirt rom the lead? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.

I would think the type of portable screening machine used for top soil would do the job.
    That way, you use a pay loader to deposit material from the berm and replace material as it is screened.
    Sgt USMC 66-72
    RVN 67-68
    NRA Life member
    M14RA member

Comment

Originally posted by ETA View Post
      I have been given the task of removing lead from a shooting range. I believe the berms have never been cleaned...ever, since they were built years ago. Does anyone have a good way to do this? It would be impossible to do it by hand so, some kind of equipment comes to mind....maybe a front loader and some kind of screen to separate the dirt rom the lead? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.
      ETA, I would say you have got the basic idea. A vibratory screen would speed up the process. What ever dirt was used in the berm might require additional processesing. For instance sand will filter thru the screenmore easily than say hard clay. You would need to put clay into a "slurry" by adding maybe water before it would filter thru the screen. dozier

Comment

Lead from the range

When we used to do it, we used 1x2 for a frame and stapled coarse metal screen over one end and put the lead in 5 gal plastic buckets (careful they get heavy really fast!) I still have around 500 lbs that I melted into ingots.

Comment

Working...
        X