• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying new knife...opinions please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying new knife...opinions please

Howdy, it has been awhile since i've been active here, but....

i have been looking to get an all purpose knife of the "bush" type, i've narrowed it down to the following choices, if you have experience with one or more of these, please give an opinion. my criteria are pretty simple, about 4.25", very good steel - tough, holds an edge, but sharpenable, full tang, rock solid warranty, big belly for bush/farm type work. this will be a working, EDC blade, not a queen.

Randall model 28, 4.5" O1 about $430
    http://www.randallknives.com/knives/model-28-woodsman/

Busse Sun of a Badger, 4.75", INFI, about $370
    http://www.bussecombat.com/the-son-of-badger-sob/

Swamp Rat Rodent 4, 4 5/8", SR101, about $130
    http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/rodent-4/

Chris Reeve Nyala, 3.75", CPM S35VN Stainless Steel, $230
    http://www.chrisreeve.com/Nyala

Benchmade Bushcrafter, 4.43", S30V, $250

Bark River Bravo 1LT field version, 4.25", CPM3V, $230
    http://www.barkriverknives.com/index...ue/bravo-1-lt/

Bark River Bravo 1 rampless, 4.25", S35VN, $255
    http://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-r...arta-rampless/
    Tinfoil Hat Alliance Member

THA - 013

I've got a Benchmade Bushcrafter, and I like it. My other for similar use is the Cold Steel Master Hunter in San Mai steel. Both are quite rugged, made for their intended uses, easy to sharpen and keep sharp. The Benchmade Bushcrafter is also better than the Cold Steel Master Hunter for batoning firewood, but I use neither for that application since I have an axe for such things.

The sheath on the Benchmade is missing one detail, though: it needs a dangler to get the most utility out of it.

It's worth what you will usually pay for it in a good shop or on Amazon, but the $250.00 you quoted above is too much. More in the range of $150-$170.00 seems to be the more common retail.

I've had various Randalls over the years, with favorites being the 5-4" and 15. If you can find one used they are worth it, but retail prices now are ridiculous and I fear more for the collector than the user.

Comment

thanks for the headsup on the benchmade. i do not like cold steel knives. though the tanto in san mai 3 is good. have a master hunter in 1095. do not like it.

I have a randall #16 divers knife on order. should be here in 18 months or so. really leaning toward the busse group, though i really dont know if the INFI is worth the increase cost over the sr101. but, the barkriver seems like a good lifetime investment.

i do like the randall woodsman, but $459 for a 4" using knife is a bit much.

THA - 013

Comment

You should take a look at the Ratmandu by Swamp Rat, too:
        http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/ratmandu-cg/
        This knife is a bit longer (5 1/4" blade) than the others you have listed; if that is not too large, give the Ratmandu a look.

I have a Ratmandu and it is an outstanding knife. The SR-101 steel is 52100 high carbon tool steel with a custom heat treat process that was designed by Swamp Rat. This is a very durable but easily sharpened steel; the knife will take a razor edge using a Spyderco Sharpmaker sharpening kit.

Another knife to take a hard look at is the Bravo 1 by Bark River. I do not have a Bravo 1 (yet) but am planning on fixing that at some point. I would get the Bravo 1 with the ramp, but that's me. I have other knives made of A2 steel as this one is; A2 is an outstanding steel, if you are partial to carbon steels as I am.

Lastly, check out Matthew Lesniewski's forged, hand made knives: http://www.ml-knives.com/ I have one of Matt's knives - his craftsmanship and materials are stellar. His knives are also priced well within reason.

Hope this helps
        "There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights." - Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

thanks for the input. however, my knife buying plans are again on hold. the little one needs braces. seriously.

i guess that i dont REALLY need another knife anyway. my everyday go-to knife is a very old Marbles that my grandfather had. it is a bit worn and not pretty, but cuts like a charm and sharpens easily. I even have a pic of myself from about 40 years ago butchering out an elk with it. It wasn't pretty then either.

THA - 013

Comment

Just my .02 cents here, but I'd stay away from O1 steel as it rusts very quickly.
            "The difference between a pessimist and an optimist is that the pessimist usually has more information."

"Where law ends tyranny begins. Where law begins, tyranny becomes legal."

“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.” ― Ayn Rand

Comment

After looking at all those high prices that these knifes cost it got me thinking, why don't we start a thread on how to make your own knife.

There already is much info available out there on how to do this, there are places to send away for different steel, wood for grips are plentiful, you can make it exactly the lenght you want it and a few good ideas could even get you started in a side business.

Comment

hmm........we have an outdoor pizza oven that we no longer use due to the discovery of a gluten allergy. I've been trying to talk the Mrs. into converting it into a small forge. I've always wanted to make my own or convert them out of files, rail road spikes, wrenches, etc.

THA - 013

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Ball View Post
                  hmm........we have an outdoor pizza oven that we no longer use due to the discovery of a gluten allergy. I've been trying to talk the Mrs. into converting it into a small forge. I've always wanted to make my own or convert them out of files, rail road spikes, wrenches, etc.
                  There are quite a few videos on you tube showing guys making knives in home made forges.

A popular way to start seems to be making a Parang or large knife from an old lawn mower blade.
                  KGC - member #04

Comment

Don't forget about using leaf springs from old cars. I think that's 1060 steel or something like that. Good stuff for knife making, or so I've heard.
                    "The difference between a pessimist and an optimist is that the pessimist usually has more information."

"Where law ends tyranny begins. Where law begins, tyranny becomes legal."

“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.” ― Ayn Rand

Comment

These are more mid-range in price, but you gotta check these guys out:

http://www.millerbrosblades.com/
                      "There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights." - Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

For me, I would take an Ontario machete and a knife that could be lashed to a pole if need be.

But that's just me.
                        FOR GOD AND COUNTRY

NRA Life Member
                        NSSA Life Member
                        Past Master F&AM
                        Oath Keeper
                        USNAVY 1968-'74
                        Viet Nam Survivor
                        Military Order of the Stars and Bars

If I'm not home, just slide the money under the door.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Working...
                        X