• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's say you carry a .22LR pocket pistol...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's say you carry a .22LR pocket pistol...

Let's say you carry a .22LR pocket pistol, what ammo would you carry? Would it be some of the Hi-Vel stuff or totally opposite like the Super Subsonic 60 grain stuff?

That's funny I was just searching online for some decent .22 ammo. I think i would carry either Aguila 60 grain sniper sub-sonic or go completely different with high-velocity CCI Quik Shoks. I'm liking the Quik Shoks because they have pre-fragmented bullets that split into 3 equally pieces on impact, creating three different wound channels.

Comment

CCI Mini-Mag HPs or Winchester DynaPoints. They seem to have a good combination of penetration , expansion and reliability.

Comment

I frequently carry a .22 LLama loaded with CCI stingers. It'll sure stop a watermelon.

Comment

I'm not an expert but it seems to me that you would want the high velocity for penetration for skull shots. So I might alternate ammo in the clip with heavy, maybe subsonic, bullets for two or three body shots and then the high velocity for skull shots.

Just my .02 and it may be overpriced at that!

Swamper

Comment

Now, y'all know we are violating gunfight rule #24 with this thread, . . . "Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun, the caliber of which starts with anything smaller than a 4."

That said, . . . just be sure not to carry anything but solid point bullets. I have seen CCI, mini-mag, HP's just knock an old sow down. DID NOT penetrate the skull. She sure was mad when she got up too. Almost any kind of body armor will stop the HP's, . . . maybe even some real good winter gear, . . . but the solids have a better chance of getting through.

Anyway, . . . my $.025 worth.

May God bless,
            Dwight

Comment

i carry a g-33, .357sig, BUT am looking at NAA micro in .22 MAG , just for those times when even the glocktoo , uhh , unconcelable! the ballistics dont lie. ( and yes .22S IN FMJ ONLY FOR DEFENCE ) FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS......WOODY
              KMA - member #04
              Tinfoil Hat Alliance - member #014

Read This ~ Click Here!

sigpic

Comment

Right now my carry piece is a SIG P239 in 9mm, I may switch to the Kahr PM9 for pocket carry. I would carry a 22lr pistol for those time where "it's better than a fist" situation. I figure nobody would want a bunch of .22lr in the ear.

Comment

.22 pocket

A long time ago I used SSS in my pistol.That long slug will either penetrate or tumble.For maximum effect that's what I chose.

Comment

I have a close friend who is and has for many, many years been a champion pistol shooter. The only thing he uses for CCW is a S&W mod 2214 .22 lr. BUT, as he says, within a reasonable distance (read:before the BG can get to him) he can put one in his ear. The moral is, if you're carrying a .22, you'd best be an excellent shot. Come to think of it, what ever you carry, you'd best be an excellent shot.

Comment

I agree that a .22 probably isn't enough gun, but my fiance' carries a Beretta tilt-barrel loaded with CCI Velocitors and I sure wouldn't want to be within 25' of her if it was aimed at me!
                      I personally manage to get a P-64 into my pants pocket; that's my minimum carry piece.

Comment

I would say the fastest solid point you can find. .22s will likely deform anyway. For the bigger is better crowd, any hit with a .22 beats a loud noise. It might take a few more hits, but hits they would be. If you don't practice with it alot, then don't carry it.

Comment

I used to carry my BERSA Mod. 23 as a back up to my primary. I found that Winchester Dyna-points would often not function reliably, while Remington Golden Bullets, either Solids or HP's did. Same thing with Stingers. They just did not seem to generate the power to work the action reliably. I switched to a Makarov which is actually about the same size and weight, but I still keep my BERSA handy for those backwoods fishing trips.
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is a frequent topic on a lot of boards. My position has always been that the firearm you have is always more effective than the one you left at home. I wear business casual clothes for work and cannot conveniently carry a major caliber pistol. My Taurus PT22 has proven to be very reliable and drops in any pocket. A spare mag drops in the other pocket. Since it's a double action, a round chambered with the safety on is a safe way to carry.

I take it out with me every few weeks and fire a few magazines, so it's familar. I agree that it is "not enough gun" but it's the one that's with me most of the time.

When I can, I carry an East German Mak. When I'm convinced of their reliability, I'll consider a P32 or P3AT.

Comment

I third the CCI stinger.........great round

Comment

Working...
                              X