• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survival Communications & Ham radio

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your home inspector sounds like some of the ones we have around here that work for realtors.
    Been in the electrical field all my life. My grandfather started Banks Electric in 1917. I am in the process of retiring so tomorrow I can say we have been in business for 100 years.
    Great on the repeater systems. Been down that road too. First one used a Vic20 for a controller last was Kendecom. Sure don't miss working on the darn things.
    My dad and older brother were both hams so I kind of fell in line. Had my 3rd class restricted ticket in the late 50s for CD comms. Led up to the novice Kn1TOG in 1961 and been addicted ever since.
    Build Knight kits and Heathkits for my early 40 and 80 novice cw transmitters. First vhf radio was a Gonset communicator II.
    I really don't get on much any more. I do have all the antennas up and plenty of equipment in the shack including a KWS-1 and 75A-4 that I use for Winter heat in the shack.
    I was in Avionics in the Marine Corps in the late 60s and worked on the F-4 Comm/Nav gear.

73's Art
    Sgt USMC 66-72
    RVN 67-68
    NRA Life member
    M14RA member

Comment

• There are so many reasons to study a little ( does not take what it use to ) but being able to apply so many of the basics to every day life is and will be so helpful and during a SHTF could very easily save your whole family's lives. Something else I never could figure out is so many prepers buy only one radio. What happens if it falls off the table and breaks no more communications. How do they communicate with the roving guards around there homes? how do the find out what is going on around the state and world. Communications plays so much into the whole survival plan it is beyond my understanding. I am a bit over the top I guess but including my Base mobile and handhelds I have at least 40 devices.
      A very wise Preper told me:

You can show others what can be done

You can show them how to get there

You can help them get there

But if they choose not to you can't force them

The harder you try the more they will resist

And I have never seen any more truth said

Comment

• I'll bet you even keep some gear in a grounded EMP containment.
        A lot of preppers buy radios, but have no clue about antennas to make them work or power supplies.
        Sgt USMC 66-72
        RVN 67-68
        NRA Life member
        M14RA member

Comment

• Originally posted by nf1e View Post
          I'll bet you even keep some gear in a grounded EMP containment.
          A lot of preppers buy radios, but have no clue about antennas to make them work or power supplies.
          Funny thing, There are plenty of Extra and General class local who DON'T know how to make their own antennae. There are plenty who've never operated away from their shack. I'm Technician class, I'm elmering a General, and leading a local club because of my experience in EMCOMMs. HAM is like many things, you get out of it what you put in. By getting involved with RACES/ ARES/ other EMCOMM/ AUXCOMM, you're testing yourself and your kit, as well as developing critical listening, transmitting and repairing skills in a grid down situation. If you can set up a communications "center" in a Red Cross shelter during a Hurricane, guess what, you can do it just about anywhere. The only skill NOT able to practice in these events are counter detection true tactical comms that are needed against an OPFOR. However, you'll be heads and shoulders above most opfor at that point.
          KMA - member #02

Tinfoil Hat Alliance - member #02

Read This ~ Click Here!

Special Agent #00Buckshot

sigpic
          Proud to be one of Body Odor's Bitter, clinging to religion and guns Pennsylvania voters.

Comment

• Personally , these days I have been taking a back set as far as emcomms. I ran a 2 mtr repeater for years and got sick of it when the no coders came around and used it like CB. I do still maintain my own all band all mode station with battery and gen backup. I am always experimenting with antennas. Just put up a new 40 mtr full wave loop fed with ladder line. I am one of the dinosaurs that still enjoy a good cw qso rag chew. Gave up most of the contesting probably 30 years ago other than a little dab into field day ops upon occasion.

73's NF1E K
            Sgt USMC 66-72
            RVN 67-68
            NRA Life member
            M14RA member

Comment

• Ya I keep my stuff in a cage

Comment

• Originally posted by nf1e View Post
                I'll bet you even keep some gear in a grounded EMP containment.
                And I keep a repeater I built in there to. But then I got my general in 1968 that is back when you had to take the whole ellement 3 not just a small part

Comment

• 1961 for me. I had a 3rd class restricted before that for Civil Defense comms.I remember, you actually had to draw schematics of whatever the examiner asked you to. Those were the days before CB contamination. I have an old Hamtronics repeater on a shelf in the shack. Had it in service for 15 years and replaced it with a Kendicom. These days my main radio bench is my re-loading area.
                  Sgt USMC 66-72
                  RVN 67-68
                  NRA Life member
                  M14RA member

Comment

• My first one was a Heathkit that I split, the tx and rx where so bad that that it would hardley work. Then I switched to Spectrum Communcations they had good tx and rx worked for many years. Now I have the GE master II still operating with a 40 year old radio parts I have had the same frequency in operation for 45 years

Comment

• Master II had about the best receivers ever. Ran one for a few years along with a GE amp that use a pair of air cooled 4CX250s and I used the hamtronics tx as a driver. I used a pair of Dick Austin antennas with a 40' vertical separation on the tower. Fed with 1" hardline it was a heck of a combination.
                      Sgt USMC 66-72
                      RVN 67-68
                      NRA Life member
                      M14RA member

Comment

• I tryed the hamtronics I did not have much luck with it. And the rx was loose I liked the Spectrum comm but the cost was to high really the GE works just as well and is a lot cheaper. very tight and has kept going for years. but every thing is plug and play now and most of the people cant figure out hot to turn them on any more even with a Gen class license. It is lick so many other things weakened to keep it afloat.

Comment

• Does the Master II receiver you are using have the extra built in preamp?
                          Sgt USMC 66-72
                          RVN 67-68
                          NRA Life member
                          M14RA member

Comment

• Yep it has one, with out it is allmost deaf, and the one that is made by GE is only 10 Db gain or somthing like that. The one I use is I beleave by com spect I think it is around 24 Db gain and will bring up to allmost full quieting at less than a tenth of a microvolt.

Comment

• Well, wasn't going to say anything but since you've been talking gear, I tested for and passed my General on Saturday. I now have a Romex Tower sitting outside, and will have a wire up for the lower frequencies "soon".
                              KMA - member #02

Tinfoil Hat Alliance - member #02

Read This ~ Click Here!

Special Agent #00Buckshot

sigpic
                              Proud to be one of Body Odor's Bitter, clinging to religion and guns Pennsylvania voters.

Comment

• Congratulations. New hams are always welcome. Now the experimentation with different wire antennas begins.

73's Art
                                Sgt USMC 66-72
                                RVN 67-68
                                NRA Life member
                                M14RA member

Comment

Working...
                                X