• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survival Communications & Ham radio

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheShadow View Post
    Well, wasn't going to say anything but since you've been talking gear, I tested for and passed my General on Saturday. I now have a Romex Tower sitting outside, and will have a wire up for the lower frequencies "soon".
    Congrads

A very wise Preper told me:

You can show others what can be done

You can show them how to get there

You can help them get there

But if they choose not to you can't force them

The harder you try the more they will resist

And I have never seen any more truth said

Comment

• TheShadow
      TheShadow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, appreciate it.

• Originally posted by nf1e View Post
    Congratulations. New hams are always welcome. Now the experimentation with different wire antennas begins.

73's Art
    Thanks, actually, older ham, been in EMCOMM for 6 years, just with a Tech License, When I needed the elevated permissions, I was operating under a club call, during EMCOMM situations under local control of a General or Extra. Usually running a SAR CP, or in an EOC environment. Most times we've operated in the 2M Band, so I didn't need elevated. 90% of my field antennae are homebrew (10% being the mobile, or if field is in an EOC). Built a sweet 40 - 160M inverted V out of speaker wire, hangs nicely in a tree or off 4 cammo support poles. For 2M/ 70CM I go with a roll-up 350ohm Ladder line jpole. I've setup a field CP little more than one per month, and have much more experience in filed comms and improvised antennae than many extras in the area. I'm now elmering my third padawon (actually two at a time right now, one a General one a Tech). I've essentially filled out both my COM-T and COM-L book, while being a tech, maybe they'll let me go retroactive on those. :)

I figured it didn't look good with the Club President (just elected 2 year ago) was a 'lowly tech', use it as a motivational issue for some who've had their tech for a decade or more, to upgrade.
    KMA - member #02

Tinfoil Hat Alliance - member #02

Read This ~ Click Here!

Special Agent #00Buckshot

sigpic
    Proud to be one of Body Odor's Bitter, clinging to religion and guns Pennsylvania voters.

Comment

• Very good. 6 years wow. Been 56 for me. Antennas are the name of the game. A lot of long range comms have been done qrp.
      I have had great success with full wave loops. Run them on 160- 80 and 40. I have tripand yagi on my tower for 10-15 and 20.
      Glad to see you are advancing your skills as time goes along. Most of the no coders just get to the 450 ht and never go beyond.
      73's Art NF1E
      Sgt USMC 66-72
      RVN 67-68
      NRA Life member
      M14RA member

Comment

Very good. 6 years wow. Been 56 for me. Antennas are the name of the game. A lot of long range comms have been done qrp.
        I have had great success with full wave loops. Run them on 160- 80 and 40. I have tripand yagi on my tower for 10-15 and 20.
        Glad to see you are advancing your skills as time goes along. Most of the no coders just get to the 450 ht and never go beyond.
        73's Art NF1E
        I like to improve myself every day, learn something, as well as a big proponent of passing along the knowledge. At the last club meeting I proposed a virtual "lending library", since our club has no fixed facility, I encouraged all members to list books and magazines they are willing to loan to others, we'll leverage the talents of one of our members to create a database, and a way to request for check out. The only question I got on the project, "Why didn't anyone think of this sooner". Our club is kind of hard to get changes through, lots of old timers only want it to be another Saturday Breakfast club social thing, but we are the county RACES/ ARES club, so I think we need to do better at things like recruiting and education. Don't EVEN bring up things like EchoLink to some of them, but how do I keep the club alive if we don't bring in new blood, new interests? Of course those who protest the most are the ones who are least active in club activities, but love to rag chew and gripe......

ehhh guess it's the same everywhere. I did create an education team and a contesting team. Contest team to find contests for those interested and coordinate club participation, education to help formalize elmering and help members learn all aspects of EMCOMM and HAM.
        KMA - member #02

Read This ~ Click Here!

sigpic
        Proud to be one of Body Odor's Bitter, clinging to religion and guns Pennsylvania voters.

Comment

• Good job. I like hearing new blood is coming into the hobby. Nice to pass the torch so to speak. Are you by chance a cw op too?
          Sgt USMC 66-72
          RVN 67-68
          NRA Life member
          M14RA member

Comment

Good job. I like hearing new blood is coming into the hobby. Nice to pass the torch so to speak. Are you by chance a cw op too?
            sorry, don't do code myself, but one of our members runs a code 'learning' net. First 10 or fifteen minutes he starts with doing the alphabet (random order), then a short message, just for learners to listen and receive, then a short two way with him and another old hand giving a short exchange. Then a go around, check in. ( I think that's how it goes) It's been well attended and receive by members. As for new licenses, the last few years our VE team has been doing real great, seldom are there no test takers, last moth it was 7, with six passes (one of them me, the guys were kind enough to wait till after the meeting to let me give it a go, I went in early but there was already a line). One thing we've found a lot of people get their ticket and never get on the air. We started selling pre-programmed Baofengs (88 repeaters and simplex freqs) at our costs and giving a year of club membership to any first time license holder. That way as soon as they get their call, they can get on air. This is very popular as well, I think we need to order ten more next month. We don't always hear them on line the next week, but it's better than 20% getting on air now. Hmm going to have to track those numbers so we can figure success rate. Other local clubs have started doing similar after they heard about it.
            KMA - member #02

Read This ~ Click Here!

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks for the information. Seems a lot of new hams are getting on the air with their smart phones via ecolink in our area. Heard a few in the last couple of days that own no ham gear at all but are enjoying the hobbie and making world wide contacts. Useless as em comm, but a way to bring in new blood with hopes they can advance their capabilities.
              Sgt USMC 66-72
              RVN 67-68
              NRA Life member
              M14RA member

Comment

Thanks for the information. Seems a lot of new hams are getting on the air with their smart phones via ecolink in our area. Heard a few in the last couple of days that own no ham gear at all but are enjoying the hobbie and making world wide contacts. Useless as em comm, but a way to bring in new blood with hopes they can advance their capabilities.
                The Baeofeng may not be a robust radio, and rather than return them, they just issue you credits, they're basically SDRs in a plastic case. That said for around $30 you get a 2M/70cm that has decent send and receive audio, stock rubber duck is better than expected, but it does have a lot of spurious signals. Bottom line, you're getting what you paid for. However, that said, there's not excuse not to have a small handheld to become radio active, then move onto bigger and better units. I understand how EchoLink is nice for some (I like to check into local nets when traveling) but not what I'd call radio operations. Heck if you can afford it, I'd encourage you to buy one or two 'loaners' for those new hams, and elmering them along the path of enlightenment. :) But hey, I'm always pushing all the guys I know to become an elmer and an ambassador.

BTW, you might like this, the local fish wrap free paper contacted the club, wanted to do a story on Amateur Radio, they wanted to interview two people, so being club president, tag I was one, I specifically asked our YL members for a volunteer. My goal, break the stereotype. It worked the reporter liked it and we got several contacts as a result.
                KMA - member #02

Read This ~ Click Here!

sigpic

Comment

• Thought that Baofeng name sounded familiar for some reason. Found it. I picked on up at " Camp Perry " 2 years ago. Model UV-82 for $20. One of the vendors on commercial row had a stack of maybe 30 of them. Been sitting in my workshop unopened until about 5 minutes ago. Guess I will have to take it out of the box and check it out. With a half dozen or more HTs hanging around this was just an extra. Never say any ham gear for sale at Camp Perry before.
                  Art
                  Sgt USMC 66-72
                  RVN 67-68
                  NRA Life member
                  M14RA member

Comment

Working...
                  X